Mark 2:14-17 (NIV)
14 As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.
15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Phariseessaw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Matthew 6:24 (NIV)
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
- What does this passage say to you about the two methods of salvation that people follow?
- What are the two methods of salvation?
- What does Jesus say in Matt 6:24?
- What are you trusting to save you?
- How does loving Levi and the sinners bring Jesus joy?
- How does loving Jesus bring Levi joy?
- Do you get the impression that Pharisees may not have been joyful? Why do you think that is?