Ephesians 4:26-32 (NIV)
26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
- In verse 27 Paul says not to give the devil a “foothold.” What is a “foothold”?
- What role does “agreement” play in the devil’s ability to gain a “foothold” within us?
- Describe the foothold that was achieved in Cain Gen 4:5-8 and Judas Mk 14:4-10.
- What agreement did the devil create in each?
- Did the devil try to create agreement with Jesus Lk 4:2-13?
- How did Jesus respond?
- How will you respond the next time you are angry?
- There are many people wrestling with anger. How do we love them well?
- Have you ever discovered joy coming out of a situation where you were angry?
- How did that happen?