Mark 2:14-17 (NIV)
14 As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.
15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Phariseessaw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
- What is happening in this passage?
- How do you picture the scene?
- What would have surprised you if you had been present?
- How would you have reacted?
- What does this say to you about the nature of God?
- There are several invitations occurring in this passage. What invitations do you recognize?
- How did the words “Follow me,” impact Levi’s life?
- What invitation can you extend that may open the door for someone to love God?