1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” 4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
- What is Paul’s main point in this passage?
- What does he say about the role of parents and children?
- Compare this perspective to our culture. What are the differences?
- Name some false beliefs our culture has accepted, in regard to healthy relationships between parents and children?
- If parents learn and implement biblical boundaries and expectations how might that remove the bondage that many people in our society are suffering from right now?
- What are some ways that we can help others to find freedom in broken relationships, childhood pain, and feelings of parental failure?