Matthew 2:13-18 (NIV)
13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream.“Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, 15 where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.”
16 When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi. 17 Then what was said through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled:
18 “A voice is heard in Ramah,
weeping and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children
and refusing to be comforted,
because they are no more.”
- What do you find significant about these verses of scripture?
- What stands out to you?
- Does anything confuse you?
- How would you feel if you were Joseph? Or Mary?
- Does anything surprise you about God?
- What did the angel of the Lord teach Joseph that allowed him to find and maintain physical freedom?
- Herod went on a murderous rampage when he learned he had been outwitted by the Magi. What false beliefs did Herod have that kept him in bondage?