Matthew 1:19–25 NIV
19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. 20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” 22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”). 24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
- What stands out to you in this passage?
- What kind of person was Joseph?
- What would you have done if you had been Joseph?
- What would you have struggled with if you had been Joseph?
- What kind of emotions was Joseph feeling throughout this ordeal?
- What does God expect from Joseph?
- Joseph had a false belief about Mary. What was it?
- When Joseph learned the truth from the angel, what things did he feel free to do?