1 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
3 When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. 5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written: 6 “‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.’”
- What questions does this passage of scripture raise in your mind?
- Who told the wise men to follow the star?
- Why does Herod respond the way he does?
- What surprises you about this scripture?
- Are you confused by anything in this scripture?
- What did the others learn about Jesus from the Magi?
- What kinds of things might we find freedom from is we learn about Jesus’ kingship?